Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Italy: Week 1

Sunday June 2nd:  I got to Arezzo!!!! Then immediately went on a tour of the city with the group and then we all went out to dinner.  We had some really great pizza. I didn't take many pictures because I was so tired from traveling that I totally forgot to take my camera out. I'll remember to take some later.  After dinner, we went home and I finally meet my host mom!  I am staying in a really nice apartment with a woman named Daniella.  Her husband is a sailor and he's in Greece right now and her children are all married and living on their own so it's just us and my roommate, Brittany.  I told her that any weekend she wanted to go visit her husband, I would be happy to go with her.

Monday June 3rd:  Classes started.  My class load is pretty light.  I am taking an Italian culture class that everyone in my program is taking and I am taking an Italian independent study class.  For that I have to keep a blog for the trip.  I can write about anything I want, it just has to be in Italian and I will be given a word limit I have to reach.  If anyone wants to see that you can find it here.

Wednesday June 5th:  We went to a wine tasting.  The vineyard we went to is called La Striscia and we got a tour of the vineyard and tried three different types of wine.  We learned all about the wine making process and how to the alcohol content or type of grape by looking at the color and if it leaves legs on the glass.  I also learned that wine companies sometimes like to make dry wines because it dries out the back of your throat and you want to drink more.  My favorite was the Chianti so I bought a bottle.  I'm hoping to get this bottle back the the States but I might need to drink it before then.

Saturday June 8th:  8 out of the eleven of us decided to go to Venice for the weekend! It was a beautiful city but it deserves it's own post so I'll talk about that later.  I will say we all had a really good time and it was great getting to know the group a little bit better.



1 comment: