Saturday, March 10, 2012

International Womens Day

Before I forget, let me mention that from now on I will only be posting on days that I don't have school, so for the most part, on Saturdays.  I've been going to the gym after school so I have to take my workout stuff with me to class and there just isn't a lot of room left for a computer. I will be posting at least once a week.  I just want to let everyone know so they don't feel like they have to check the blog everyday.


Did you know that Thursday was International Women's Day?  I had no idea until my History of Music teacher told us.  We just happen to be at the point in the class where we are talking about the opera and i castrati.  I castrati are men that were castrated as little boys so that they could play the women roles in the operas when they were older. Most died before they ever got to be in an opera and even if they lived that had health problems the rest of their lives.  And they were put through all of this just because women weren't allowed to be the operas.  In this particular situation I feel more sorry for the men who had to be castrated than for the women who couldn't be opera singers but the point is that just about 300 years ago the world was going to extreme measures just because women weren't allowed to be in operas or plays or really do anything but have babies. 

Women's Day is big in Spain.  Spain has a huge problem with domestic violence and apparently the Labor Reforms of the new government pose some pretty serious threats to the rights of women ( I don't really know, I haven't looked in to exactly what the reform says,  but that's what I have been told).  So this day is a huge day for women to come together and fight for their rights and their protection. I was walking home from class on Thursday and as soon as I got to the city center, I ran into a pretty large parade in honor of Women's Day.





No comments:

Post a Comment