Friday, April 20, 2012

Rome

Unlike Paris, where I never really wanted to go and ended up really liking it,  Rome is a place that I was expecting so much out of it and was a little let down. I have been wanting to go to Rome since the Lizzie McGuire movie came out when I was like 10 or 11.  It was still pretty awesome and I would definitely go again.  The only real problem I had with Rome is that it was way over crowded, everywhere.  Our hotel was in a great spot, right down the street from the Colosseum and the Forum.  My favorite part about Rome is that the city is built around the ruins.  I feel like if the United States was where ancient Rome was, but we had the same government that we currently have,  they would be like "This really old building is falling apart and no one can live or work here, it's just taking up space," and they would destroy it so a thousand condos can be built. Wednesday we went to the Vatican.  We ended up getting there right as they were settting up for the Popes weekly talk.  One of my biggest hopes for this whole trip was to see the Pope...and we saw him!!!! The Vatican muesums were very interesting, but probably the most uncomfortable part of the whole trip just due to how many people were standing in not very large spaces. 

Italian food was exactly what I was expecting.  I don't think a day went by when we didn't eat pasta.  I think my favorite was the Carbonara.  We also got our fill of tiramisu.  A little fun fact I learned in my Italian class: "tiramisu" literally translates to "you lift me up".  It is called that because it lifts your mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment