Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sevilla and Cordoba


Last weekend was the last ISA excursion and we went to Sevilla and Cordoba.  I've been to both cities before and pretty much saw the same stuff than but it was cool to get to see it again.  About half way through the trip I started thinking how much fun it's going to be to compare my pictures from this trip to my pictures from last time I was in Spain when I get home.  We got to Sevilla Friday night and went straight to Plaza de Espana

Look familliar?

You've probabaly seen it in Star Wars...episode 2 I believe.


Saturday we took tours of The Reales Alcazares which are a pair of palaces, one arab and on catholic.




For lunch, my friends and I were sneeky and made sandwiches at the breakfast buffet and then shoved them in my purse so we didn't have to pay for food. But I did stop by one of the 5 Starbucks in Sevilla for a Christmas beverage.  They didn't have the gingerbread latte but the toffee nut latte was a good substitute.  They even wrote my name in Spanish on my cup.

After lunch we went on a tour of the Cathedral.  That was cool be cause we had learned about this cathedral in my History of Art class.  I was pointing out all sorts of artistic features of the building, but I only know how to talk about art in Spanish.  I don't know any of the words in English.  Other cool facts about the cathedral:  It's the 3rd largest in the world, Christopher Columbus is buried there, and Chritopher Columbus's illegitimate son is buried there.

The next day we went to Cordoba to see the Mezquita (Mosque).  It's the largest mosque in Spain and the 3rd largest in the world but it's not really a mosque anymore. It was a Romen temple to some Romen God (I can't remember which one).  Then the Arabs took it over and turned it into a mosque and then the catholics conquered Cordaba and turned it into a cathedral.  But all the Catholics really did was added some altars and some crosses so it still looks pretty much like a mosque.  Last time I was here, my camera had broken so I couldn't take pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment