Tuesday, January 29, 2013

King Lear

The first thing I had to read for my Literature class was Shakespeare's  King Lear ( the class is focused on literary depictions of insanity).  Unlike the majority of the students in my class ( and probably the majority of the people in this world) I consider myself a Shakespeare person and King Lear, although it is  dark and depressing and has a terrible ending, is one of my favorites. I know most people don't really enjoy reading Shakespeare so I won't recommend it to you (unless you like that sort of thing), but I will recommend the Shakespeare in the Park version on youtube.  It stars James Earl Jones as King Lear.  You should also check out the movie Ran.  It's a Kurosawa film and it's a re-telling of King Lear that takes place in Japan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment