Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Sun Also Rises...eventually

Before I left for Spain (about a year and a half ago) I started reading The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway.  It must have been on some recommended reading list.  I think I probably read about 10 pages before I left and then didn't pick it up again until I was home for winter break.  After restarting at least 3 times I finally finished that darn book.  My opinion of it: ehhhh. 
 
It was interesting just to see how different Hemingway's writing style is from today's authors.  It also had some pretty good information about bull fights.  But really, it was one of the dullest books I've read.  I can't understand how Hemingway wrote this love story between Lady Ashley and Jake but really the only things that happen in the book are they go to bar, drink and watch bull fights. 
 
I'm watching the movie version tonight.  A little fun fact courtesy of IMDb trivia, the film received bad reviews because of the slow pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment